Thursday, July 24, 2008

Franchise Tax Board Address Verification Notice

I was wondering what to do with the Franchise Tax Board Address Verification Notice (FTB 4729) that LegalZoom forwarded me today, since the cover letter had absolutely no information besides their general 800 number.

Dear Valued Customer:
We are forwarding the enclosed documents received on your behalf. If you have any questions regarding these documents, please contact us at (800) 773-0888. For a full list of additional services, please visit us at

After calling their customer support line, it turns out I need to fill it out with my corporate address. If they had provided this guidance on the covering letter, it would have saved me 10 minutes of working through their automated call center and the time taken by two of their operators to relay this information.

On a side note, I signed up for Registered Agent service on my LegalZoom LLC package, so all legal documents are received and forwarded by LegalZoom.

Can anyone offer guidance if I really need a registered agent and if there is a better option than LegalZoom's $159/year fee?

1 comment:

Nick said...

If you have a physical address in the State of California, you do not need a Registered Agent. You can act as your own RA. My firm offers RA service for $125/year.